Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Way Social Networking Should Be

People seem to think that I'm against social networking, which is a ludicrous idea. I'm against many of the poorly implemented features the current incarnations. Facebook does a few things right, but its original focus, business networking, has been overshadowing by drama llama and school cliques.

I know a number of people who use Facebook professionally, for a number of professional means, but even their ratios of business-related content to personal content are still somewhat startling.

Now I recently joined LinkedIn and Meetup, and I'm measurably impressed. They have their flaws as well, but not in the same number as Facebook and Myspace. LinkedIn focuses on business events, informing people and networking people in similar areas. Meetup is focused around setting up in-person events between people who have joined local groups.

Since LinkedIn is well covered on a number of other blogs, I will discuss Meetup. I have gotten involved in a local photographic group and though I did not RSVP to the first events, I have finally gotten the chance to go out and get involved in one of these events. After a casual introduction to strangers I'd never met in the field, we went on our way, taking photographs and speaking about the industry.

I suddenly realized that this is what I always wanted Social Networking to be about. Using technology to set up real, live, human interactions more easily. After all, business networks are built from the people we know, and if my first experience is any sign, Meetup is a very fast way to branch out and expand your network.

No comments:

Post a Comment